Feed-in Tariff

Feed-in Tariff

The Feed-in Tariff (FIT) is a payment made to people who produce renewable electricity on a small-scale (up to 5MW). The rates paid vary according to a number of criteria. The Feed-in Tariff was introduced on 1st April 2010 and replaced previous Government grants as the main financial incentive to encourage the uptake of certain types of electricity-generating technologies. From the 1st April 2019 the Feed In Tariff scheme closed to new applicants. This page remains for information purposes only.

The technologies that benefit from Feed-in Tariffs are:

  • Solar photovoltaic (PV) electricity (roof-mounted or stand-alone solar panels).
  • Wind turbines (building-mounted or free-standing).
  • Hydroelectricity.
  • Anaerobic digestion (AD).
  • Micro combined heat and power (MCHP).

The Feed-in Tariff scheme is managed by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and administered by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets Authority (Ofgem).

Feed-in Tariff qualification

For both domestic and non-domestic installations all systems below 50kW must use the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) or Solar Keymark accredited products and installers, except hydro and anaerobic digestion, which must be certified under the Renewables Obligation Order scheme (ROO FIT).

Feed-in Tariff rate

This is dependent on the:

  • Relevant technology.
  • Eligibility (commissioning) date.
  • Energy Performance Certificate (internal link) (EPC) rating (for solar energy).

For up-to-date Feed-in Tariff rates, please refer to the Ofgem tariff tables.

Feed-in Tariff comprises two main parts:

  • Generation tariff. This is the set rate for each unit of electrical energy (kWh) generated by the system. Once registered, Feed-in Tariff generation payment levels are guaranteed for the period of the tariff (up to 20 years).
  • Export tariff. This is the set rate for each unit of surplus electrical energy (kWh) exported back to the electricity grid.

Feed-in Tariff registration

To receive Feed-in Tariff payments, it is necessary to register the installation:

  • On the main MCS database, after which the installer will provide the owner with a certificate confirming MSC compliance.
  • Via a licensed Feed-in Tariff supplier.

For an up-to-date list of licensed Feed-in Tariff suppliers, please refer to the Ofgem list of licensed Feed-in Tariff suppliers. Your chosen licensed Feed-in Tariff supplier will require:

  • The MCS certificate.
  • A completed Feed-in Tariff application form.
  • A copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if appropriate.

The Feed-in Tariff supplier will:

  • Ensure that the installation is registered on the MCS database.
  • Ensure that any other necessary regulatory or eligibility checks are completed.
  • Add the installation to Ofgem’s central Feed-in Tariff register.
  • Enter into an agreement with the owner of the system and confirm both the meter submission and Feed-in Tariff payment dates.